GlassBuild America 2012 Visa Information

If you require a visa to enter the United States to attend or exhibit at GlassBuild America, you should apply now!

Even if you didn't need a visa for a previous GlassBuild America, you are encouraged to check the current requirements. U.S. regulations now require security checks for most visitor visas, resulting in a process that may take three months or more. Citizens of certain countries must have a visa invitation letter in hand before they can obtain a passport from their government, and then apply for a U.S. entry visa. General information on the U.S. visa is available below.

Generate your Visa Invitation Letter for GlassBuild America 2012

Click the appropriate link below, complete the form that appears and print your letter.

Attendee / Exhibitor Letter

What is a Visa?

A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter the United States (U.S.) generally must first obtain a U.S. visa, which is placed in the traveler’s passport, a travel document issued by the traveler’s country of citizenship. Certain international travelers may be eligible to travel to the U.S. without a visa if they meet the requirements for visa-free travel.

What type of Visa do I need?

The type of visa you must obtain is defined by U.S. immigration law, and relates to the purpose of your travel. For travel GlassBuild America you will need a Nonimmigrant Visa.

What is a Nonimmigrant Visa?

Nonimmigrant visas are for international travelers, (citizens of other countries), coming to the U.S. temporarily. This visa allows you to travel to a U.S. port-of-entry (airport, for example) and request permission of the Department of Homeland Security immigration inspector to enter the U.S.A visa does not guarantee entry into the United States.

How Do I Qualify for a Visa?

Applicants for visitor visas must show that they qualify under provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act. Applicants must demonstrate that they are properly classifiable as visitors under U.S. law.

The presumption in the law is that every visitor visa applicant is an intending immigrant. Therefore, applicants for visitor visas must overcome this presumption by demonstrating that:

  • The purpose of their trip is to enter the U.S. for business;
  • That they plan to remain for a specific, limited period;
  • Evidence of funds to cover expenses in the United States;
  • Evidence of compelling social and economic ties abroad; and
  • That they have a residence outside the U.S. as well as other binding ties that will insure their return abroad at the end of the visit.

How Do I Apply for a Visa?

Applicants for visitor visas should generally apply at the American Embassy or Consulate with jurisdiction over their place of permanent residence. Although visa applicants may apply at any U.S. consular office abroad, it may be more difficult to qualify for the visa outside the country of permanent residence.

What Documents are Required?

Each applicant for a visitor visa must submit these forms and documentation, and submit fees as explained below:

  • An application, Nonimmigrant Visa Application, completed and signed.
  • A Supplemental Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-157 provides additional information about your travel plans.
  • A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant's intended period of stay in the United States.
  • One (1) 2x2 unmounted photograph taken within the last six months.

How does the GlassBuild America Visa Invitation Letter Help Me?

Applicants must demonstrate that they are properly classifiable as visitors under U.S. law by supplying evidence which shows the purpose of the trip. The GlassBuild America visa invitation letter will detail the dates and location of the event as well as provide a brief show description.

The National Glass Association and its partner organizations do not have influence on the decision of any U.S. embassy or consulate to approve or reject any person’s application for a visa to enter the United States.

Helpful Links

US Department of State VISA
Find a US Embassy
Visa Denials
Questions About Visas


Please contact NGA, Industry Events Department by email at or by phone at
866/342-5642 ext. 124 (Toll-free) 703/442-4890 ext. 124 (International).